Friday, 10 April 2015

Living the Victorian Life

I thought I'd tell you all about my job today. I'm very lucky to have a job that I love and one that coincides with my love for vintage! I work at a Victorian living museum in the world heritage site of the Ironbridge Gorge.
The museum is set up as a Victorian town in the year of 1900. There is a bank where you can change your money to pre decimal currency; a grocers shop, chemist, sweet shop and even a school and fairground. I have been working at the museum as a demonstrator for three and a half years now and have worked in lots of the shops. I dress up in the clothing of the era and demonstrate Victorian trades.
My favourite shop to work in is the Grocers shop, there are so many fascinating items to see. It's incredible to see which things are so similar now and which brands have survived the test of time. 
 The museum goes forward in time forty years for one night only each year. It's really nice to change scene and experience life on the home front for one evening, and of course I love the dressing up too!  
 Sorry about the quality of pictures, they were taken quite a while ago! 

Hayley Ann x

4 comments:

  1. hello,ciao Hayley Ann
    nice blog and style of yours!
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant job! I visited Ironbridge years ago and the living museum was the best bit. Are pigs still kept in the brick stye?
    P.S. Thanks for you comment on my blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, yes the pigs are kept in the sty sometimes but they get moved around the site too.

      Delete
  3. How terrifically lovely! My first job ever was at a living ghost town of a once thriving mining community here in my home province of British Columbia that's called Barkerville (named after Billy Barker, the man who first struck it rich in finding gold there). I'd been enthralled with tales of it my whole life, so getting a summer job there one year while still in my teens was a dream come true for me.

    Thank you for sharing about your fun job with us. Anytime history is involved with one's work, it's a winner in my books! :)

    Big hugs & many thanks for your lovely comment on today's interview post with Helen,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment! I enjoying reading all your comments.