Monday, 29 June 2015

Forward Forty Years to the Forties

On 20th June, the Victorian museum that I work for stepped forward in time by forty years to the 1940s. There were lots of different wartime events and activities happening. Being obsessed with 20th century history, I had to be there! Each shop or dwelling had a different display of authentic elements from the wartime period.

 This table was laid out to show the weekly rations for one person and the kind of meal you could create. It was really interesting to see and made me realise how much waste there is now! 
I was quite surprised to find out that the sweet ration was 12 ounces a month as that seems quite a lot to me! I don't eat a quarter of sweets every week but I suppose there was less sugar in foods then. 




 A display of wartime toys in this house, toys were made out of everything, even spam tins were used.

I wore a skirt and blouse which were charity shop finds and a cardigan knitted from wool given to me in true wartime fashion! The cardigan is recently finished so I will share details in a separate post soon. 
I really enjoyed my evening experiencing wartime and it was nice to see the museum in a different era. 

Hayley Ann 

10 comments:

  1. Those look like neat exhibits. The ration sample looks particularly interesting. I love seeing how food habits have changed over the years, and what we now consume more/less of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible how eating habits have changed so much. Thank you for commenting Kate x

      Delete
  2. The toys seem particularly interesting and creative !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So simple but i'm sure they provided hours of entertainment through difficult times. I think it would be more fun knowing that you had made the toy too!

      Delete
  3. what a nice exhibit...and what a super stylish look of Yours!...the cardigan is perfect with the skirt...cheers!
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Aure. I'm glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  4. Ration food does look interesting, but I suspect the novelty wears off quickly, especially in winter when you're stuck with piles of root vegetables. I get a local seasonal vegbox, and by spring I am sick of things like carrots and parsnips! It's interesting to see a ration amount laid out like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right Mim, it would be difficult to remain inventive with such a small amount of food all year round! It probably would be more seasonal though so at least the prospect of summer fruit and veg would be pleasing! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  5. That is so true! I just read a statistic the other day in the free little Costco magazine that they send out in the mail to members that said on average North American households waste somewhere around $2,400 in food per year (that spoils, gets chucked out, etc). Our own number would be drastically lower than that, thankfully, as I'm huge on not letting food go to waste, but of course it does happen every now and then. We could all take a lesson from our foremothers and fathers when it came to how we put our pantry and fridge's contents to work for us down the very last crumb.

    That looks like such a great exhibit. Thank you for sharing about it with us, sweet gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a crazy statistic Jessica! Like you, my family are conscious of not wasting food so ours would be a lot lower too. We should never take the food we have for granted when some people are starving. I think it's more fun to be inventive and use every last scrap, sometimes the best meals are made like that! x

      Delete

Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment! I enjoying reading all your comments.