Thursday, 24 September 2015

Beamish and Birthday Celebrations

A few weeks ago we made a trip up to Durham in the North East of England for my birthday.On my birthday we visited Beamish which is a living museum set over 300 acres. There are a few distinct areas running from 1820s to 1940s. These areas are farmland but there is also a 1900s Colliery, Pit Village and Town.

I have wanted to visit this museum for a long time so I was really looking forward a day there. To me, these kind of museum are the closest thing to going back in time. Especially when the staff are dressed in period costume, it really brings the buildings to life.

One of the first things we did was go down the coal mine. This gave a real insight to the hard labour and long days that ordinary people faced.



The whole museum is connected by trams and vintage buses which are a great way to travel around!








One of my favourite shops to visit was the Co-operative which is split into a Grocers, Hardware and Drapers. Running through the whole shop is an original Lansom tube cash system which is used to take the money to a cashier. I find it fascinating to see what brands and products still exist now and which don't. Even some of the packaging is exactly the same!






Obviously I loved the 1940s bit, the farmhouse was so lovely. 







I wore my Collectif Princess coat which is one of my favourite pieces of clothing. I love it so much! My dress is also reproduction and made by a local company called Okie Mo who make beautiful items. I am going to review this dress in another upcoming post. 


My birthday at Beamish was perfect. I would definitely recommend a visit, I was there all day and still didnt' see everything! 

Hayley




9 comments:

  1. cheers...happy birthday!
    nice post with very beautiful photos and Your outfit is a work of Art,the coat is so pretty on You!
    the photo at the bottom is as nice as a painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like the photo of the carousel, they're my favourite!

      Delete
  2. Happiest (belated) birthday wishes, sweet dear! You're an absolutely lovely person and I really hope that the universe sends a fantastic, fun filled, beautiful year your way!

    Terrific outfit! I just adore the hue of that coat. Swoon!

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, that is so lovely! I hope you have a fantastic year too x

      Delete
  3. That looks like such a brilliant place to visit - must've been tempting to hide somewhere and get locked in for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tempting Mim, it all felt so real!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I hadn't heard of this place and it looks awesome. Those buses are just the cutest things.

    Happy (belated) birthday too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment! I enjoying reading all your comments.