Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Parasols- The Perfect Accessory

Another summery post today, I'm determined to make summer last! When I was in Italy I took a parasol and it was the best thing I could've taken for the heat! I have always loved these elegant accessories and I found that they not only look pretty but are also very practical.

Parasols have a long history all over the world. Paper parasols originate from the East in the countries of China and Japan. They are traditionally made from natural products such as leaves and used to keep the complexion pale. These parasols are often decorated with paintings of flowers and birds. Even now paper parasols are associated with Asia and the Geisha girls of Japan.


During the 18th and 19th centuries Parasols moved west and became popular in Britain. At this time, Britain had a huge empire  and imported items like tea from China. We also imported fashions and values from the east too leading to a love for Parasols. English parasols tended to be made from fabric such as lace but they were still used for the same purpose. A lady from the upper classes wouldn't leave her household without a parasol on a hot day. Throughout the 20th century parasols deteriorated  and fewer people used them as a tan became more popular than pale skin.



 
I still think a parasol is very useful in keeping the heat of the day off you and providing shade at the same time as looking elegant and completing an outfit. Maybe over the next few years we will see a rise in the use of parasols again!
 
Hayley Ann

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post, dear gal. Parasols are such marvelous accessories! I'm rather shocked, come to think of it, that I haven't done a shoot with either of mine yet. Something to pencil in for next spring or summer for sure!

    Big hugs & happy last week of summer wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, I look forward to seeing you and your parasol! x

      Delete
  2. Parasols are so very elegant! You look terrific with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina, aren't they just!

      Delete
  3. When I was in Burma, I saw paper parasols being made, right from the bamboo struts and handle. With the traditional-shaped silk ones, white was reserved for kings and so nowadays it's only used for statues of the Buddha. I don't know if anyone can use other styles if they're white, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing it. I bet it was fascinating to see them being made, such a craft.

      Delete
  4. such a nice post,I agrre totally with You...the parasol,ombrello is a perfect accessoery for the Lady with Style! I guess that will return soon th era of Ladies with Parasols!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aure and I sure hope that they do make a comeback!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment! I enjoying reading all your comments.